The saying ‘A picture is worth a thousand words’ forms the heart of the photography profession. Pictures have the power to evoke emotions, impact thoughts, influence purchase behavior, inspire social justice movements, support animal rights campaigns and create a call to action, all by telling a tale in a way that words can only attempt to.
Advancements in technology have propelled photography into a highly skilled and lucrative career choice. Budding photographic artists who wish to formalise their passion into a career can benefit from completing a part-time photographic qualification that will earn them industry recognition. The acclaimed Vega School (Vega), which is a brand of The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE), has taken the lead to advance this field by enabling students to take photography courses offered by The IIE that can bring photographic careers into focus.
“If you want to freeze moments in ways that make them unforgettable, then you also need to understand how raw talent and technical skill can be used to create meaning in subject matter,” says Vega Head of Photography, Fiona Peake. “Vega will assist you to turn your love for photography successfully into your livelihood. The part time courses offered by The IIE, through Vega are perfect for those working that do not have the time to dedicate to full time study. This is how you will learn about the practical, theoretical and creative aspects of this exciting career.”
There are many career opportunities in the photography field and often a photographer will specialise in a specific area.
- Photojournalism – a field of journalism which entails taking photos for print and online media. If you love the adrenaline rush of danger and controversy that journalism carries, then this is your line of specialisation.
- Portrait Photography – Carefully planned shots and lighting which enable you to catch the beauty and emotion of people. If you are a people person and you love to see the hidden beauty in those around you then portrait photography is for you.
- Commercial Photography – it’s all about the visuals and commercial photography serves that need in the various marketing, branding and advertising sectors. If you are lured to the exciting world of branding and marketing then commercial photography is for you, and you could always pair it with a degree in one of those sectors which is also available at Vega.
- Fine Art Photography – is photography that is created in unity with the vison of the photographer, it is the photographer’s artistic expression of what they want to say. If you are a free creative thinker and you don’t like to follow anyone’s direction but your own, then fine art photography is the way to go.
- Fashion – a stream of photography which captures the glitz and glamour of the runway. If you are excited by the prospect of seeing your work in the glossy pages of high-end fashion magazines, then this one is for you. It is also the most lucrative photography career, and it offers plenty of traveling opportunities.
Advancements in digital technologies with regard to photography, web design, graphic design and associated disciplines have led to the union of these creative fields. This has motivated Vega to grow and expand this exciting entry-level programme for prospective professional photographers in a higher education context. It has also ensured that the course includes modules in accounting and marketing ensuring that students also appreciate the business side of being a photographer.
Together with your camera, your infallible eye and this qualification, you’re ready to get your photography career on the road to success.
To find out how you can register for the mid-year intake to study towards a Higher Certificate in Photography, one year full-time or eighteen months part-time, visit www.vegaschool.com